Spouse Visa


To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also either:

  • be a British or Irish citizen
  • have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status– they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply. If your partner has settled status you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme or for a family permit.

What you will Need to Prove

You must be able to prove your marriage, that’s recognized in the UK

You also need to prove you:

  • have a good knowledge of English
  • can financially support yourself and your dependents

If you do not meet these requirements you may still be able to apply for a visa or extend your permission to stay if:

  • you have a child in the UK who is a British or Irish citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years and it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK
  • there would be very significant difficulties for you and your partner if you lived together as a couple outside the UK that could not be overcome
  • it would breach your human rights to stop you coming to the UK or make you leave
How to Prove your Relationshiop

Send evidence that:

  • comes from the government, a bank, landlord, utility provider, or a medical professional
  • confirms your relationship with your partner – that you are married
  • is less than 4 years old

You can use things like:

  • a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • a tenancy agreement, utility bills or council tax bills confirming that you live at the same address or pay bills together
  • a bank statement from a joint bank account, or confirming that you live at the same address
  • a letter from your doctor or dentist confirming that you live at the same address

If you do not have any evidence that meets this criteria, there is other evidence you can provide instead. However, it’s less likely that you’ll be given a visa in this case.

Other evidence you can provide includes:

  • a one-off bill like vet’s fees or home repair costs
  • letters confirming you and your partner are on the voting register for the same address
  • student finance paperwork confirming that you live at the same address

Things like greetings cards, travel tickets, receipts, photographs and text or social media messages are not considered strong evidence of your relationship and are unlikely to help your application.

How Long You can Stay

You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months on this visa. After this you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.

Applying with Your Children

You can add children to your application as dependents if both of the following apply:

  • they are under 18 when you apply, or were under 18 when they were first granted leave
  • they do not live an independent life

Your child is living an independent life if, for example, they’ve left home, got married and had children.

Information you must provide

You’ll need to have information and some evidence ready when you make your application. Include information for you and any dependents applying at the same time.

You’ll need to provide:

  • all your names
  • your date of birth
  • your current passport or other valid travel ID


Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada
    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

Also, you and your sponsored family members need to agree to certain responsibilities during the undertaking period. We call this the sponsorship agreement.

The sponsorship agreement means that:

  • you’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members
  • the person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members

When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a form that includes the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement.

Income Requirement

In most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

  • you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
Sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner who lives with you in Canada

You can apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class if your spouse or common-law partner cohabits (lives) with you in Canada and has temporary resident status.

To qualify under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, the sponsored person must:

  • be the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada and
  • have legal immigration status

Your spouse or partner may be eligible for an open work permit.

Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.

If your spouse or common-law partner leaves Canada before becoming a permanent resident, they may not be allowed to come back. This is especially true if they need a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA to enter Canada.

If your spouse or partner can’t return to Canada, you must submit a new overseas sponsorship application.

Sponsoring your dependent children

You can sponsor your dependent children outside Canada who meet the following definition:

Definitions of dependent children

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the day we receive your complete application:

  • They’re under 22 years old, and
  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependent’s if they meet both of these requirements:

  • They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
Documents & Information Required
  • Passport
  • CNIC
  • Marriage Registration Certificate
  • Family Registration Certificate
  • Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Marital Status, Address, Occupation & Email Ids of Father, Mother, Brothers & Sisters.
  • B Form/Birth Certificate of Children
  • Fee Deposit slips
  • School/College Registration Certificate/Letter
  • Copies of registry/sale deeds
  • Copies of fards/translation
  • Utility bills
  • Photographs
  • Medical Examination
  • Birth Certificate/Educational Documents (If first blood relative) PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP
  • Canadian Passport
  • Permanent Residence Card
  • Lease Agreement/ House Ownership evidence
  • The most recent notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency
  • Monthly bills etc. (one page of each bill is sufficient)
  • Sponsorship Letter
  • Proof of employment
  • Bank Statement (If easily available)